IPod devices are widely used as a pocket computers and portable media players. You can use them as external data storage devices to carry files. Using the Apple's iTunes, you can transfer data to and from the iPod device using Apple Macintosh and Windows operating systems.
Using the iTunes restore option, you can erase all data structure on the iPod drive. If you have those deleted files in your iTunes then you can re-synchronize your device to iTunes and restore your files back.
But in case, you don’t have backup and wants to restore files that accidentally deleted even from the iTunes backup folder, then there is no direct way to restore back the deleted files. In such situation, you would require data recovery software for iPod.
Note: If you have lost your iPod data, stop performing any action with it. As it may overwrite the deleted data and thus reduces the chances of recovery. Don’t even connect it with iTunes or any other app.
How to restore iPod to factory settings using iTunes?
You can restore your iPod to factory settings using the iTunes restore option. It let you erase all data (songs, videos, photos, calendar and contacts etc.) from the device and setup the device as new. If you want to restore some deleted data, you can so it by synchronizing g your device with ITunes data library.
If you want to restore your device using the iTunes Restore option keep in mind the following things.
You must have the latest version of iTunes on your device. Backup your device data using the iTunes backup or copy the device data to another device/computer.
Now follow the given steps to restore your device:
- Connect the iPod to the computer system
- From the list of available devices, select your iPod.
- Then click Restore from the Summary panel
- In the prompt windows, click restore to confirm. It will remove all data from you device and restore it to factory settings.
- After completion of the restore procedure, restart your device.
- After restart, the welcome screen will come up. From there you can setup the device as new or restore it from a previous backup.
Suppose you have erased all your IPod data using the factory reset and you don’t have any backup. Then how would you get it back. In such case you have to recover the lost IPod data using Stellar Phoenix iPod Data Recovery software.
Features of iPod recovery software:
- Let you recover the lost data, documents, songs, video files, podcasts, e-books, and graphic files from your iPod on Windows system.
- It performs iPod recovery in cases of file loss due to accidental /intentional deletion, iPod formatting, virus attack etc.
- Supports data recovery from iPod classic and iPod Shuffle on Windows based OS (Windows 7, Vista, XP, and 2000)
- Let you create image of the IPod so that you can perform recovery later, if required.
- The original format of the data is kept intact preserved after recovery.
- The software offers three options: 'Quick Recovery', 'Deleted File Recovery' and 'Advance Recovery'
- The data not available under the 'Quick Recovery' option could be scanned using the 'Advance Recovery' option.
- It let you preview the list of recoverable items.From the scan results, you can search the desired data item using the 'Find' option. The File Mask and File Filter options let you search better from the scan results.
- Using the tool, you can perform selective iPod recovery using the filters scan results according to file types and set criteria. The supported file types are MIDI, AIFF, M4A, OGG, RPS, M4P, AU, AVI, MOV, ASF, WMV, MP4, WMA, MP3, MPG, MPEG, GIF, WAV.
- From the scan results, you can select the desired items and save them at your desired location.
- Using the Create Image feature, you can create a .dat image of the iPod data and then perform recovery from the image.
- It let you save the scan results so that you can resume the recovery process at later times.
How to perform recovery using Stellar Phoenix iPod Recovery – Windows
- Download and install the software. Connect the IPod to your system.
- Open the software. Click on the "Recovery" icon then click on 'Play' button.
- Select your iPod from the dropdown list
- Click on 'Quick Recovery' then click 'Play'. You can also choose the 'Deleted File Recovery' and 'Advance Recovery' options according to needs.
- This will begin the scan process.
From the scan result, select the folder that you want to recover and then click ‘Play’. Select the files to be recovered and save them at desired location.